Did you know that paint is the second biggest air pollutant? The environmental impact of paint is diverse. Traditional painting materials and processes can have harmful effects on the environment, including those from the use of lead and other additives. However, measures can be taken to reduce environmental impact. Accurately estimating paint quantities to minimize waste and using environmentally friendly paints, coating, painting accessories, and techniques can help.
Volatile organic compounds are gases emitted by various solids or liquids, many of which have short and long-term adverse health effects. Solvents in traditional paints often contain high quantities of VOCs. While low VOC paints improve indoor air quality and reduce urban smog. Additional benefits of such paints include low odor, clean air, and safer technology, as well as excellent durability and a washable finish.
Low-VOC paint types include latex (water-based), recycled latex (water-based), acrylic, and milk paint.
Check paint can labels for the following information:
* To be considered low-VOC, the paint should contain <50 g/l of VOC.
* To be considered zero-VOC, the paint should contain <5 g/l of VOC.
* Solid content usually ranges from 25–45%, higher solid percentages indicate less VOCs.
1. Use of non-toxic paints provides you with a healthier home and leaves a lower impact on the environment while maintaining a high standard of quality that will last for years to come!
2. When removing lead paint, use only lead certified contractors. Use Festool Sanders when necessary.
3. Thorough prep work ensures your new paint job will last for as long as possible.
4. Use reusable drop cloths instead of rolls and rolls of plastic whenever possible.
5. Reduce contribution to landfills by reusing plastic and supplies when possible.
6. Recycle leftover paint to avoid it landing in our environment.
7. Select a company where employees are trained on how to keep waste to a minimum.
Need to paint your home but want to minimize the environmental impact? Call the experts at Korth & Shannahan Painting and Carpentry (914) 238-5388. Professionals at green paint techniques.
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new tab. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.