What Is an Accent Wall?
An accent wall is an interior or exterior wall that has a different color, shade, design, or material from the other walls around it. It is a great way to show off your personal style!
5 Accent Wall Ideas
- DON’T shy away from using a bold color for your accent wall. As long as you have the right accents around the room to coordinate with your new color, you can choose whatever color makes you happy.
2. DO think outside of the box when you are considering your new accent wall. You are not limited to simple paint covering the wall. Think about other ways to use color. Your wall may be perfect for stripes or a change in the paint finish. Metallics are a powerful style statement for walls.
3. DON’T forget that there is more to accent walls than just paint. Have you considered stone or tile for your wall? Extensive shelving can also work as an accent in a room that lacks an architectural feature and lacks storage. Consider a gallery wall of photos or artwork or even a fabric-draped wall. The secret to accent walls is that they are the most flexible decorating weapon you can have. The only rule for accent walls is that they accent a wall.
4. DO consider an accent wall even if you’re keeping your room neutral. Accent walls can work just as well in a neutral color, as a bright one. The initial idea of an accent wall conjures up visions of bright red or blue, but in a neutral color scheme, a dark wall is just as nice.
5. DON’T forget about the ceiling. Another idea that is appearing in design shows is using the ceiling as an accent. Consider painting it one shade lighter than the walls or using the ceiling as a color pop. Wood beams are painted black to form a great accent.